Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Hello; Traffic

So, this is blogging. Hmmmmm...might actually prove to be interesting.

Hello out there in blog world. My name is Barefoot Cajun and I come to you from the great state of Louisiana, USA. Please bear with me as I stumble my way through blogging for the first time.

So, I live in a city where the traffic sucks; even good traffic days suck here. Of course, E and I have chosen to live on the exact opposite end of the city from where I work. We knew that going into buying this house a few months ago and I think I've handled it pretty well thus far. I really try not to let it get to me. I'm a pretty laid back kind of gal. I rarely take stuff personally, especially traffic related stuff. Sometimes folks just push my limits.

Take this evening, for example. I'm tooling along, listening to some relaxing tunes, minding my own business only one exit from home. It has been a pretty normal traffic day, nothing exciting, nothing out of the ordinary. Now this particular exit that I'm passing is a cloverleaf and the entrance lane to the interstate merges in on the downslope of an overpass. I'm in the outside lane in preparation for taking the next exit and there's a large distance between me and the car behind me. This woman, and I use that term lightly, comes barreling down the entrance lane and, instead of merging into that HUGE space behind me, she decides she HAS to be in front of me and to accomplish that she's going to try to squeeze her ass in the little bit of space between me and the car in front of me.

I admit it, I got all indignant about that. I can't understand why folks think they just HAVE to be at the head of the line. Why can't they be satisfied with being the second car? I do it all the time. So, I made sure the gap between me and the car ahead of me wasn't big enough for her to squeeze into. Now, understand the traffic is stop and go here because of the amount of cars exiting at the exit I'm heading for. So she keeps coming, even after the entrance lane officially ends, driving on the shoulder still trying to get in front of me and the gap behind me is still HUGE. The line of cars, including me, all stop and she's on the side of my car. What do I see when I look over but her screaming, "Fat Bitch" at me as she is still trying to wedge her car in front of my bumper.

Now, I am overweight but I am usually a pretty nice person. But today I decided if she was going to call me a fat bitch, then I was going to damned well be one. There were two things she failed to realize; If she hit my car, she was in the wrong as she had to yield to the oncomming traffic AND my midsize SUV would have left tire tracks across the top of that little tin can she was driving.

I must admit I don't normally enjoy being a bitch but I came home with a smile on my face today. :-)