Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Monday, February 14, 2005

Valentine's Day

Aw, geez, I've become a blog slacker. It's not that I haven't had anything to say lately; it's just that I've been pretty busy - well, except for the weekend when I was lazy. I promise myself to do better.

Today, here in America anyway, was St. Valentine's Day. I find it highly amusing that a day that originated because some guy got beheaded ended up being the day dedicated most to love and romance. I am somewhat of a romantic, less so now that I'm older, but E and I do celebrate the day a bit.

Actually, our Valentine's Day began on Saturday when E arrived back home from a morning jaunt to the local Hallmark store and the local candy store. He surprised me with a lovely card and a box of very good chocolates - dark chocolates, at that. My, my, that man knows the direct way to my heart. [vbg] Unfortunately, a huge disagreement followed later about whether we should get rid of the bird or not but we made up and all is well. ;-) Today I presented him with a lovely card and a gift card to his favorite bookstore. He was highly pleased. I suspect he'll spend his lunch hour there tomorrow digging around to find just the right book.

All in all, we didn't spend a whole lot of money on each other but to me, that's not what's important about a day like today. What is important is that we spent time focusing on what we mean to each other and how our love continues to grow. After five plus years now we still are best friends. I know that in the grand scheme of things five years doesn't seem so long but check the divorce rates. I think if a marriage makes it past three years these days one should count one's blessings.

But Valentine's Day isn't the only day we should focus on our love. Marriage is work and therefore needs to be looked after each and every day. There are days when we like each other more than others [vbg] and fortunalely for us we really like each other most days. Sure there are tough times but we get through them by communicating. Another thing that gets us through the tough times is the memory of the really sweet times.

Saturday night after E fell asleep, he turned toward me in the bed and tapped my nose three times saying, "Bonk, bonk, bonk". He was fast asleep and I knew he wouldn't remember it but we had a great laugh about it on Sunday. Neither of us have any idea what was going through his head to make him bonk me on the nose but we find it hysterical - especially since he's never done that to me when we were awake but I distinctly remembering him bonking Sophie the dog's nose a couple of times. [vbg]

It's a good thing we're all different because it makes finding the someone out there for us a bit easier, I believe. Our marriage works because it's ours. Who's to say that a marriage to someone else would work for either of us? I don't want to find out, that's for sure.

Thanks, Hallmark, for creating a day on which you make an obscene amount of money by reminding us that there are folks out there that we love. But, if we truly love, we really don't need you to remind us. ;-)