Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Friday, April 01, 2005

100 Things about Barefoot Cajun

1. My favorite alcoholic drinks are chocolate martinis and amaretto with pineapple juice.
2. If I have 10 drinks a year, that’s a lot for me so why did I list alcohol first?
3. I love to sleep and can do so at any time of the day.
4. My first grade teacher (a mean nun) told be that because I was five that I was a baby and didn’t belong there.
5. I finished the end of that school year with straight A's but she got fired at mid-term.
6. One of my guilty pleasures is listening to the classic country radio station.
7. I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 28. I’ve been cancer free for 15 years now.
8. I’m inherently lazy when it comes to housework.
9. My niece is as close as I’ll ever come to seeing what a child of mine might have looked and acted like.
10. I love mint and chocolate chip ice cream.
11. If I could make a decent living at it, I’d still be a 911 dispatcher.
12. I love to drive and prefer to be the driver for just about everything.
13. My next car will be a red Ford Mustang GT convertible, hopefully a Shelby Cobra GT.
14. I haven’t smoked in nearly 16 years but if I put a cigarette in my mouth today, I’d be back up to two packs a day within the week.
15. It’s a dream of E and I to retire to Europe.
16. I love New York City and would live there in a heartbeat.
17. I give money way too much power in my life.
18. I hate to admit this but I used to be a registered Republican.
19. Thankfully, I came back to my true liberal senses as soon as I left law enforcement.
20. If given the choice between a beach and the mountains, I’ll choose the mountains every time.
21. My idea of an ideal spring afternoon is spending the day with my camera taking black and white photos in a New Orleans cemetery.
22. I had a pet baby duck when I was a toddler. His name was Donald and he was really smart.
23. He died when I accidentally sat on him while trying to get a bunch of cockleburs out of his feathers. I was just three at the time and I still feel horrible about it.
24. Game shows are another of my guilty pleasures.
25. My first word was kitty-cat.
26. I really regret not finishing college.
27. I have a really cool great aunt who happens to be a 91 year-old radical nun.
28. I love to do outside things like fishing but if I see a snake, it’s time to go home.
29. I can play the trumpet and loved being a band geek.
30. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t miss my grandmother.
31. I’m a trivia freak so I have a head full of worthless crap.
32. With only a couple of exceptions, I’ve managed to stay friends with every guy I ever dated.
33. If I were to go back to college today, it would be to get a law degree.
34. I remember the day President Kennedy was killed and remember seeing the funeral. I was not quite three years old.
35. I would rather take a beating than have to sew anything.
36. I have a brown thumb. Plants that are unfortunate enough to wind up at my house don’t live very long.
37. One of my favorite places on earth is Eureka Springs, Arkansas.
38. I’m a huge fan of American football and yell and cuss like a man when watching a game.
39. Most days I’m very happy that I don’t have children.
40. I love musical theatre. I’ve seen Cats five times, Les Miserables four times and countless others. Les Miserables is my favorite.
41. I could walk all around a bloody crime scene and never bat an eyelash but toothpaste spit completely grosses me out.
42. I feel naked without my cell phone.
43. I’ve lost my taste for coffee. Can’t stand to drink the stuff now.
44. I absolutely, positively do not want to ever wind up with a feeding tube in a vegetative state.
45. E and I were married on a stage in a theatre. I designed our wedding invitations to look like theatre tickets.
46. I am definitely not a morning person.
47. Another guilty pleasure of mine is South Park.
48. I love really silly movies like Airplane. One of my favorites is an old Zucker brothers’ film called Kentucky Fried Movie.
49. My brother and I both live by the rule that if it’s not chocolate, it’s not worth eating.
50. I’m afraid we’re never going to finish unpacking from our move six months ago.
51. I talk to my pets as if they were humans. So does E.
52. I wish I had a bowl of my grandmother’s bread pudding right now.
53. I try to sleep really late at least one morning every weekend.
54. One of my favorite sounds is my cat’s purr.
55. I love to knit but am afraid to try fancy stitches because all the instructions are for right-handers and I’m a lefty.
56. I love most vegetables but tolerate very few fruits.
57. I have a texture thing with some foods. I won’t eat citrus because of the texture of the pulp.
58. I eat only one food item at a time on my plate, beginning with the item I like least and finishing with the item I like best.
59. I don’t like to mix foods and until just a few years ago wouldn’t eat beans with rice.
60. I hate getting gussied up in the mornings. This is why I’m thankful that I work in an office where I can wear pretty much anything I want to work.
61. I’ve felt like an outsider all my life.
62. I would love to become a certified handwriting analyst.
63. I almost lost my mother at Thanksgiving and it made me realize that I’m not ready to live without her yet and don’t know if I ever will be.
64. I am so very proud of my brother and sister.
65. I can’t believe I lived on my own for so very many years. It’s hard to remember life without E.
66. No matter how tough it gets sometimes, I love being married.
67. I once applied for a job with the Beverly Hills Police Department. They wanted me to come out and take the test but I chickened out.
68. I’ve never lived farther than 90 miles from my hometown.
69. If I had enough money to live on without having to work, I would do nothing but travel.
70. Although I’ve been to Mardi Gras nearly every year for the past 24 years, I’ve never been in the French Quarter while it was going on.
71. I hate going to bars.
72. In 17 years of law enforcement I can count on one hand the number of times I actually had to draw my weapon.
73. I would love to own a set of Waterford crystal.
74. I love antiques and detest the contemporary style.
75. I record Jeopardy! every day.
76. I am so over The Apprentice and The Donald.
77. I remain a huge ER fan.
78. I love The Amazing Race and can’t believe I didn’t watch the first three seasons.
79. I love Jon Stewart and Bill Mahr.
80. I could sit and discuss politics and religion endlessly.
81. I love, love, love Barry Manilow.
82. As soon as E goes back to work I’m hiring a maid and a pool service.
83. My “free pass” would be Harry Connick, Jr. E’s would be Gwen Stephani.
84. I make an excellent chicken and andouille sausage gumbo.
85. I love to play games online.
86. I find it nearly impossible to believe that E loves me unconditionally and I am awed by the idea.
87. E has a thing about touching his scars or his belly button. Since finding this out I feel compelled to touch them.
88. I usually make myself fall asleep by counting backwards from 500 every night.
89. My favorite flower is a Sterling Silver Rose.
90. The scent of roses is my favorite smell.
91. I didn’t put up a Christmas tree last year.
92. I love it when my cockatiel says, “Hello, Birdy Bird!” as I walk through the door.
93. I love a good tropical storm or minor hurricane.
94. I’m fascinated by otters and meerkats.
95. I’ll ride any amusement park ride but I’m afraid to climb a tall ladder.
96. I love to turn up the radio and sing loudly in traffic.
97. Most of my friends refuse to play Trivial Pursuit with me.
98. I’m very competitive.
99. Every time I sit here at the computer, Sophie (our Peke-a-poo) sleeps at my feet.
100. I’m a descendent of King Louis XII of France. He wasn’t such a great king.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    We're just gonna have to sit down and play Trivial Persuit and drink tea one day.

    Oh, and while I don't do it all the time, I do that "eat-least-favorite-to-most-favorite" thing too. Even when I don't do it, the last bite of my meal must be my favorite thing.

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    girl, you are so interesting.

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger Matt said…

    Wow- I have SO MUCH in common with you! I love jon & bill and would love to talk to you. I think the next time I move and have to get a new job and no one will hire me because I have this damn art degree I'll look into being a 911 dispatcher. Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader