Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Monday, April 04, 2005

Time Changes and Middle Age

First I have to say how much I love, love, love Daylight Savings Time. I love having sunshine when I get home from work. DST allows me to spend time outside in the evenings that I just don't get in the winter. If I had any say so in the matter we would never change back.

That being said, I'm trying to figure out just when I stopped being a night owl and began being an old maw-maw. I'm thinking E had something to do with it but I just can't quite pin it on him. I used to be able to go to work all day then get home and have friends over and watch movies or play cards until after midnight then start all over the next morning. Why is it that now if I don't get to bed by 10 pm I feel like hell the next morning??? I swear it's because I married a (dare I say it?) morning person - bleh!

Take Saturday for example. E and I headed to my hometown to visit with my parents because my brother K and his partner C were there. We spent the afternoon with them then drove partway back toward home to have boiled crawfish with them. (Mmmmmmmmmmm!) In the meantime, my friend Y calls to ask us to have dinner at their house that evening and says that K and M will be there. I tell her that we were eating with the folks but we'd go by there after dinner for a visit. We arrived there at about 9 pm and had a fantastic evening. The six of us enjoy each other's company so very much. The wine was flowing and the conversation was great. At one point we went around the table stating what changes we would make if we were queen/king of the world for 24 hrs.

Time has a way of slipping away from you during an evening like that. I remember looking at my watch at one point and it was 10:55. The next time I looked it said 1:30. Then my friends kindly reminded me that it was actually 2:30 thanks to the time change. It was at this point that we all decided we must leave. E and I still had an hour's drive ahead of us afterall. By the time the goodbyes were said it was after 3 am. Thankfully I'd only had one margarita early on because E was feeling little pain. ;-) We fell into bed exhausted at 5 am.

Now just a few short years ago I would have been up by noon and off to get my share of the wonderful spring afternoon. However, yesterday that just didn't happen. E was hungover and I was dead. I spent the day in my jammies and couldn't get enough sleep. How pathetic is that???

I've decided I don't want to be middle-aged if it means I can't enjoy being a night owl anymore. The sad thing is that the dogs can't stand to be awake late just like E. He's poisoned their minds and mine as well, apparently. Somehow he'll have to be punished. [vbg]

1 Comments:

  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    I can stay up until outrageous hours when I'm in Europe but when I get to America I just flake out by 1am.

    I blame jet lag!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader