Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Monday, June 13, 2005

His name is Nate

And this is what he looked like when they picked him up at the shelter in Mesquite, TX, a couple of weeks ago:

natebefore2

natebefore1

But here's what he looks like now:

nate1

nate3

nate

Nate is a very large Bichon Frise, approximately 2 years old, and just the sweetest, snuggly bear imaginable. He came to us on Saturday officially as a foster dog from Small Paws Rescue, a breed rescue organization that I volunteer for. But E and I have already fallen madly in love and figure we will flunk Fostering 101 and end up adopting Nate soon.

Nate was found wandering the streets as a stray and he is such a great dog that I find it very hard to think someone is not searching for their baby. He was brought into the Small Paws system in north Texas and they sent out an SOS for a foster home. E and I answered that SOS and Nate was transported, along with a bonded pair going to be fostered in Houma, LA, to Lafayette Saturday evening. It was love at first sight. [vbg]

He and Sophie and Sneauball are getting along with only a few pack order issues every now and then. I expect they'll work them out in due time. It is so very funny to see Nate and Sneauball together because they are truly the Mutt and Jeff of the Bichon world. Nate is so very tall and long and Sneauball is but a tiny boy. I'll get some pics downloaded this week and post them here (now that I have a Flickr account that makes life so very easy!).

Nate is a very social boy who wants to meet every person and animal he comes across. He's always ready to plant a few kisses on whomever he befriends and has that smile on his face all the time. He was matted so deeply when he was found that the groomer had to shave him down. I can't wait until his coat starts growing back in. Can you believe we've been lucky enough to get a Bichon that doesn't mind being brushed??? He has none of the neuroses that Sneauball has (bless my little boy's heart) so I can touch all his paws and his face and brush him without all that jumping around that I get from Sneauball. :-)

E and I have made room in the bed for our big new boy. His favorite thing is to stretch out alongside one of us and sleep on his back with paws in the air. At 19 lbs he's a bit on the skinny side for his frame so we're trying to put a couple of pounds on him. The Bichon standard for conformation calls for no taller than 12 inches at the withers and I know Nate is taller than that but I love those long legs!

Ok, that's enough new mom rambling for now. Y'all have to excuse me as I'll never have any human children so fluffy ones are it. And I can guarantee you that if anyone ever tries to tell our crew that they're actually dogs, they'll never get them to believe it. [vbg]

7 Comments:

  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger BarefootCajun said…

    Girl, I have to tell you what a rockin' blog you have! I read you every day and cheer you on.

    Thanks for coming here to check on mine.

    Tummy rubs to that beagle!

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    Oh yeah. I would adopt that boy in a second. He looks to be about Bonnie's size.

    I love the photo of him up on the back of that chair. Would you just please dig on that cheeky look on his face?

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    And by the way, how cool are you that angryblackbitch has checked out your blog and commented! A celeb has come to visit!!

     
  • At 9:27 PM, Blogger Miz said…

    Congratz to the new addition to the family. He is a lucky boy!

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Marybeth said…

    Anybody who loves dogs like you do definitely strikes a cord with me! Love your blog! I'll definitely be back, Neighbor!

     
  • At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh, he's so handsome!!!

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger Tiffany said…

    How cute is that puppy! I would adopt him in a heart beat!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader