Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Monday, June 27, 2005

I've done it!

Last Sunday I visited The Quarter Stitch in New Orleans to re-learn how to knit. I'd been taught a pretty convoluted way before. The girl that taught me did her best. She was right-handed and I'm left-handed and she was trying to teach me as best she could. I've realized now that she taught me to make my stitches properly but she had me moving the yarn from right needle to left. That meant that I knitted everything from the back side. It also made it impossible for me to learn more complicated stitches and techniques. I never could understand a yarn over. Now I know why.

So, anyway, last Sunday one of the girls at the Quarter Stitch sat with me and showed me how to knit and purl in the proper English style. I came home and took out some scrap yarn and began practicing. For two days it was very discouraging. It seemed as if I just couldn't get into a rhythm. On the third day I decided to try knitting the way I used to and see just what the differences were. Once I realized that the only difference was what needle I was moving the yarn to, it all made so much sense. I switched back and found my rhythm. Not only that, but I was soon purling as well.

On Saturday I felt confident enough to put the practice yarn away and begin my first project. I'm knitting a new scarf for my niece El. I had her pick out the yarn a couple of months ago and she chose a lovely red chenille. Saturday afternoon I cast on 30 stitches on my US 13 needles and began to knit. Except I'd forgotten how much of a pain in the butt chenille can be as it's easy to split stitches. So I started and frogged twice. By the time I cast on the 30 stitches for the third time, I was too tired to continue.

But third time is definitely the charm because I picked it up during El's birthday swimming party yesterday and worked about 15 rows without any problems. I finally have new WIP. Yippee! I'll post a pic as soon as I have made some decent progress.

I had really missed knitting. Yesterday I read the directions for a YO in Stitch N' Bitch and I now actually understand it! I'm on my way to creating all the fun stuff I've been wanting to create. Ah! :-D

2 Comments:

  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Marybeth said…

    I know exactly where The Quarter Stitch is. I love just being there.

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    No wonder you were having so much trouble. You were literally doing things bassackwards!

    Bebe, you've opened a whole new world of knitting now!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader