Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Monday, June 20, 2005

Summer Visitors

I have been blessed with a wonderful sister-in-law (and, no, as far as I know she doesn't read this blog so I'm not just sucking up). E's older sister S is just the coolest. First of all, she was the only sibling of E's that could come to our wedding. Second, she's just cool.

She's 15 years E's senior so she was the one he always looked up to. I understand as she's the same age as my youngest aunt R who was much more like a big sister to me growing up.

S fell in love with Louisiana when she came to visit for the wedding. She has since divorced and can do some traveling. This is her third trip down since April of last year. Her plan is to come about every six months. This is the second time she's brought her granddaughter T with her. T is just thirteen and the greatest kid. She loves our dogs and they love her.

S and T arrived on Friday afternoon for a 10-day stay. We spent Saturday getting all girled up (well, not E). After Nate's vet visit, the girls headed off for haircuts and manicures and pedicures. Yesterday, we took them down to New Orleans to play tourist. T hadn't gotten to do much in New Orleans last time they were here so we took her to play. We had lunch with my brother K and his partner C at Fiorellos on Decatur. The food was good, very New Orleans-type fare of po-boys, jambalaya, fried seafood and such. From there we hit the French Market so T could buy her souveniers. I just HAD to buy a faux-Prada purse and a new toe ring. ;-)

Next I hit the Quarter Stitch, my favorite yarn store in New Orleans, to buy the Stitch-N-Bitch book and brush up on some knitting techniques. Then we did something I've never done - we took a carriage ride through the French Quarter. Now, I'm practically a local and some of those carriage drivers have a tendency to embellish a bit on places and history but our driver did a fantastic job. It was a great day for June as the humidity was low and it wasn't too hot. The Quarter wasn't very crowded so it was fun just to be out and about.

We finished our afternoon having ice cream at the Creole Creamery on Prytania St. as recommended by my dear brother. K is as big a chocoholic as I am and he recommended the dark chocolate flavors. I had a scoop of Dark Chocolate Praline Royale and I Scream For Fudge. I must say that those were both awesome, chocolate-that-makes-your-eyes-roll-back-in-your-head flavors. Those guys make all their ice cream in-house. While there I tasted Pear-Champagne sorbet and it was out of this world. If you have a chance while visiting the city, I highly recommend a visit there. It's in the old McKenzie's Bakery building 1/2 up from Upperline St.

I wish I could have the whole week off to play tourist with them but, alas, I must work. I think they stayed home to swim and relax today. S says this is the only place she can come where she doesn't have to think about work and can truly relax. She usually goes through three or four books while here.

I'm so glad she loves to visit us as we love having her here. Maybe we can talk her into moving down eventually. :-D

2 Comments:

  • At 5:59 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    Didja buy some yarn too? Can't be in a yarn store and not buy yarn!

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Marybeth said…

    Oh, man...you make me want to run on down to New Orleans for the day! We take a carriage ride every time we're down and not one has ever been the same. I love New Orleans! I'm heading down your way next week for some rest and relaxation at my aunt's house! I can't wait!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader