Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Today is my mother's 69th birthday. When I spoke to her yesterday both she and Dad were a bit under the weather. But I couldn't let the day go by without giving her a big ol' birthday shout out.

My mom is so very special to me. We almost lost her last Thanksgiving when she collapsed in their home. Thank God Dad was there when it happened. She completely coded three to five times that morning. I don't ever again want to hear my dad's voice sound like it did that morning when he called me. We were told by the doctors that she might not recover as they had no way of knowing if she'd had any brain damage before the first 24 hours was up. She was on a vent and posturing in the way that severly brain damaged people do. That was the longest 24 hours of my life - the four of us sitting up at that hospital just waiting. My sister and I finally went to K's to spend the night and left my brother with Dad. I remember breaking down in the shower the next morning and telling God that I needed my Mom.

When we got to see her, she was awake and looked so scared. As time went by that day she started to recognize us. By day three she was off the vent and by day four was starting to get some of her short-term memory back.

Mom was released from the hospital on Thanksgiving morning. K prepared a huge meal and had us all over at their house to celebrate. That day forever changed the meaning of Thanksgiving for me.

Mom, you have always been there for us. You raised three strong, intelligent, good kids. I am proud to be your daughter. I remain ever thankful that the angels you saw that Thursday morning gave you the opportunity to stay and finish what you started.

I love you, Mom. May your birthday be joyful.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    I hope your mom has a fabulous birthday!

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Maven said…

    Every day is a blessing. Not a religious gal here, but that line from Psalms, rejoicing in the day the lord has made, really has punch to a scenario like that.

    Mother daughter relationships are so conflicted/complicated. I know mine is. I got choked up reading this. Not sure the reasoning behind it. Happy your mom is with you, and perhaps feeling a bit of envy that I don't feel that sense of need in my own life... it fluctuates from day to day.

    Many blessings and here's hoping she has 30 more birthdays... or MORE! God willing:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader