Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Lament

I've been sitting here thinking of the Garden District yarn store on Magazine St. that I'd just discovered, where I could get any kind of yarn I desired; the Creole Creamery ice cream parlor on Prytania St., where they make their own flavors like Champagne Peach, Dark Chocolate, and Rose; the restaurant Stella! that my classmate worked so hard to create, where he made his mark on the New Orleans culinary scene; Cafe Equator in Lakeview that has some of the best Thai food E and I have ever eaten; the Country Flame restaurant down on Bienville and Chartes that looked like a dive but had the best empanadas I'd ever eaten; the beloved French Market, where we loved to take out of town visitors to buy their souveniers; my friend Charles' house in Lakeside that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright; and our favorite Vietnamese restaurant and bakery Dong Phuong out in New Orleans east.

So many places and people. Since living here in Baton Rouge, I'd begun to take being able to scoot to New Orleans in an hour for granted. There is just an overwhelming feeling of sadness now.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger thatfarmgirl said…

    I share your sadness at the memories of all the wonderful things and places and people the City had to offer. I almost didn't go for JazzFest this year, but at the last minute I changed my mind. I am so glad I did.

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger Miz said…

    The New Orleans area is one of the places I would love to visit. I know that by the time I get there the determined natives will have dug out and re-constructed their lives and their beautiful old city. God have Mercy on those who lost their lives and God Bless and preserve the survivors.

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Maven said…

    Glad you're alright.

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Mikki Marshall said…

    My good friend had family in New Orleans who lost everything. They are safe now in Verdunville with family.
    I am ashamed as an American and horrified as a person.
    I am sorry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader