Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Monday, November 14, 2005

Yes, I'm still alive

Last week was "hell week" at work. As I don't blog about work, let's suffice it to say that we were buckled down getting a certain thing for a certain client cleaned up and ready to go today. I even put in some weekend time. Now I'm just glad that we've been able to relax a little.

To catch y'all up on what's been happening in Barefoot Cajun-land:

* We traded in E's gas guzzling 2001 Ford Explorer Sport last week and got him a 2005 Chevy Malibu instead. We're going to save tons on gas and insurance as a result of this trade. E will have to start working out of the New Orleans area soon so he'll be putting about 130 miles a day on his vehicle. That Explorer would have killed us in gasoline alone, not to mention any repairs it would begin needing because of the extra wear and tear.

Isn't it spiffy?


* I'm fully expecting to be diagnosed with Type II Diabetes next Monday when I see my doctor. She sent me for a hemoglobin A1C blood test last week and they called to tell me the results weren't good. I've been half expecting this for a while as I have all the risk factors - obesity, family history, etc. E is also a diabetic and neither one of us takes good care of ourselves. For example, my entire food intake yesterday consisted of some Lays original Wavy chips and green onion dip sometime around mid-afternoon.

It's time that we buckle down and change our evil ways. Beginning this Thursday evening, we'll be attending Overeaters Annonymous meetings. We're also going to start implementing the CAMP program for mindful eating. I don't do well on diets with lots of denial and this program seems to be a great way to learn to take control over food and eating without having to deny certain foods. I already began the practice with my soup and crackers for lunch. Instead of plating up the entire stack of Town House crackers that I normally eat along with my can of Progresso soup, I only plated half the stack and wound up saving nine crackers for a snack after while. I must say that I'm satisfied and definitely not hungry.

My eating problems have so much to do with portion size. I don't eat between meals very often but I sure make up for it during meal time. I'm also very famous for eating in front of the TV and not paying attention to what goes into my mouth. I think the CAMP program will be beneficial. Wish me luck. [vbg]

* Both E and I were under the weather this weekend. Poor E has been working pretty late each evening lately and has managed to come down with a cold. He stayed on the couch sneezing most of the weekend. I fought a migraine all day Saturday and a little stomach bug yesterday. We wound up having to cancel some dinner plans with K & M and several other friends and it was quite disappointing. We'd both been looking very forward to going. I told E that we're going to make sure and get good sleep this week.

* Speaking of sleep, I have to go for a sleep study Friday night. I'm sure I have sleep apnea and will become a "hose head" very soon. (Thanks, Miz, for that term ;-) ) I'm actually looking forward to getting it over with and getting the CPAP machine so that I can sleep better and get my energy back. I'm tired of feeling like a slug all the time.

Well, that catches y'all up with all our "stuff". I promise I won't be such a stranger from now own. I'll be catching up on all y'all's stuff soon.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Tiffany said…

    about time you updated this thing! ;) I love the car!

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger thatfarmgirl said…

    That CPAP thing works wonders. It has enabled me to finally sleep in the same room as my fiance and he says the difference is amazing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader