Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Finding Blessings in the Ordinary

This morning reminded me that I need to begin a gratitude journal once again. It truly makes a difference in my life when I force myself to pay attention to the little blessings. With E out of work and the burden of the finances squarely on my shoulders, I often go through the day with my eyebrows knit and my muscles in tight knots waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm not proud of my inherrent pessimism. It's a trait I have always wanted to completely change. But optimism comes easiest for my when things are going smoothly. Throw a kink in the chain and I go into "glass half empty" mode every single time. My therapist has so much fun with this.

As part of my resolution to approach this new life year differently, I have been trying to find blessings in life's ordinary things.

This morning, I flew out of the bed at 7:07 am - not good for a girl who has a thirty minute commute and work begins at 8 am. I showered as quickly as I could and slapped on the minimal amount of makeup allowable by law but didn't get out the door until 7:40. I was halfway to the office, scowling because I just knew I'd be late yet again, when I realized that traffic was unusually light - no backup on Sherwood Forest Blvd., no daily congestion at I10 and College Drive - just smooth sailing from home to work. The scowl left my face and I had a big ol' smile when I arrived at work at 8:01.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like this post! Sounds liek me. Waiting for the other shoe to drop and crush my head! Even though I know better it doesn't always help. How do people live so cheerily and carefree?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader