Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Hosehead Extraordinaire

First off, My apologies to the Holidailies folks. I was a bit under the weather yesterday and did not get an entry together.


My CPAP machine arrived yesterday afternoon. The nurse delivered it in its lovely carrying case with instructions that if I am to travel by air, that case must become my carry-on luggage as I should never, ever check the equipment when flying.

She sat in my office and showed me how to turn it on and off, how to adjust the mask, and how to wear the mask at night. I have a neat mask that doesn't cover any of my face but rather fits in my nostrils. In fact, I rather look like a SCUBA diver when I sleep now.

Last night, I was exhausted and not feeling very well so I was glad to get to bed. As I strapped the thing on, Sophie had a fit trying to smell it and not liking it on my face at all. Once I got her calmed down, I turned the machine on and tried to drift off. It took a while but once I finally relaxed, I was able to sleep. I did wake up at one point coughing but I've had this cough for several weeks now so I just took some more cough medicine.

E said it was like sleeping with someone he'd never slept with before because I didn't snore at all. He said it was way too quiet.

I wound up taking it off at around 4 am but woke back up at 7:30 and put it back on. I got some good sleep and do feel more rested today. BTW, the nurse told me yesterday that during my sleep test I'd had 56 episodes of not breathing from any between 10 seconds and 23 seconds during the first hour of the test. I only achieved REM sleep once and it was for only a couple of minutes. No wonder I have no energy anymore! I can't wait until I have that first "perfect" night of sleep. I've not had a good night's sleep in so long, I'm not sure I remember how it feels.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger Miz said…

    I have been on CPAP for over a year, actually I am using a Bi-PAP now, I swear I can't sleep without it. The nurse is right, you do carry it on the plane, but it does NOT count as your carry-on. The law provides that medical equipment doesn't count, you need to have a letter from your doctor to present at the airport.

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger thatfarmgirl said…

    My fiance has had his CPAP for a few years now. What a difference! I like the white noise...it actually lulls me to sleep. Sometimes though, when the "mask" slips his breathing sounds like gurgling and it kind of grosses me out. I can't decide if he looks more like Darth Vader or Hannibal Lecter when wearing it. Hello, Clarice. LOL.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader