Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Monday, December 12, 2005

I Can See Clearly Now...

Thanks to the diabetes diagnosis, my doctor sent me to an opthemologist to get a retnal exam. While there, he gave me a new prescription for corrective lenses complete with bifocals. (That's what I get for laughing at E when he had to get them before me - and he's 8 months younger that me)

I've worn glasses since my late 20's. I got brave about seven or eight years ago and tried contacts. My optometrist at the time tried to put me in toric contacts but I couldn't see worth squat out of them. So he put me in gas perms (hard lenses). I wore them for a year but they aggravated my eyes daily. I had to pop them out and rewet them a couple of times a day. I was almost glad when one of them warped and I went back to glasses.

This time I got brave. I told the doc that I wanted to try soft contacts again. He ordered a trial pair for me and I picked them up this afternoon. While I know that I'll never see as well out of contacts as I would out of glasses, I must say that I love these lenses already. It takes a bit getting used to having my distance lens in my right eye and my reading lens in my left but I'm adjusting quicker than I expected.

So it's bye-bye glasses. My head feels lighter already.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    I'm anxious to know you'll like them after a while. I wear my contacts but don't have them correct my reading vision because right now my bifocals are barely bifocaly. Maybe I'll switch to bifocal contacts when my reading vision gets worse.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader