Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Sewing? No, thanks.

I don't sew. Notice I didn't say I can't sew but rather I don't sew or I won't sew. In fact, I'd rather take a beating than sit behind a sewing machine. I put off little repairs for ridiculous amounts of time because I'm sewing machine phobic.

My Mom is much like I am - she doesn't sew either. But she's always had a sewing machine for repairs and such. I managed to live until just a couple of months ago without one. This project is what finally pushed me into getting one. While out buying materials, I bought myself a little sewing basket in which to keep pins, needles, thread, and such. When I got started last night, I opened up the box to get it set up and found that it came with a few supplies, including a pin cushion in the form of a tomato.



It made me think back to my mom's sewing chair that opens up to hold all her notions. In that chair is a tomato pin cushion slightly larger than the one I now own. I always thought the tomato as a pin cushion was odd as sticking a real tomato with pins would be quite messy. But last night as I stuck pins into my little tomato, I was transported back to days watching my mom make repairs in our clothes and while I stuck pins in and pulled them out of that cushion, using the little berry hanging down to sharpen them. Having one of my own was somehow comforting.

Last night found me finally succombing to the necessity of sitting at the machine. Sneauball and Nate, being two male dogs, haven't quite learned 100% not to mark their territory (and believe me, it's driving us nuts!). E steam cleaned the carpets yesterday and they're looking all pretty. We are determined that the boys will not ruin all the carpets in the house (even though we plan to eventually pull them out) so I had to make belly bands last night. I wound up making eight and it took me only two hours to get the all together. I was proud.

So the boys are running around the house dressed like this now:




Sophie is being pretty superior at the moment. It's as if she's teasing the boys by saying, "You have to wear diapers and I don't. Na na na na naaaaaaa na." I think they're plotting to get her back.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    I would have no idea how to make one of those. It's all I can do to sew on buttons.

     
  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger Norma said…

    Good luck with the sewing. I wrote a blog dedicated to old patterns and matched them up to old photos. It was fun, but it does have a limit, so I wrote it only in November. I was almost, but not quite, tempted to get my sewing machine out of storage. I'm waiting for the urge to pass.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader