Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Thursday, March 23, 2006

An open letter to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton

I emailed this letter to Sen. Clinton's office this morning.

Dear Sen. Clinton:

My request is simple. Please do not run for President in 2008.

Let me first state that I am a Democrat and probably more left of center than you are. I admire you for your work and for your stance on so many issues. But I think it will be a huge mistake if you run in 2008.

While I believe that having the first viable female presidential candidate would be a huge step in the right direction, I deeply believe that we as Democrats must first focus on regaining control of the White House and Congress. The Bu$h administration has done more harm to this nation than any administration in decades. The neo-cons are moving us in the direction of an American dictatorship and theocracy and, to be honest, it frightens me.

Sen. Clinton, the neo-con pundits have made your name as dirty a word as they have the term "liberal". Because of this, your candidacy would be too polarizing. This is a time when we need a candidate that is not afraid of this administration but, at the same time, is capable of gaining the trust of not only Democrats but Independents and some Republicans. I do not believe you can do that at this time.

I would like to appeal to your sense of what is right for the many rather that what is right for the few. My eye is on Sen. Russ Feingold. Although he has not indicated that he would run, he seems to be the type of candidate that we need to accomplish a Democratic victory.

I appreciate your consideration in this matter. Thank you.