Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I'm not snarky today...the meds must be working

E and I seem to be going through a bit of a good karma phase right now. Nothing spectacular but life is rolling along pretty well. He's enjoying his new job and training is going well. He's managed to win several objects with the company logo on them. I can't wait for him to win more stuff so we can furnish the whole house in things that boldly say, "Cox", because, as you all know, free stuff is fun.

I decided today, pretty much out of the blue, that it's time for me to tone down my language a bit. You see, as a forty-hrmhrm year old with no children, I've apparently missed an integral part of my development - the part where you have to learn to quit cussing because you have kids around all the time. As I've mentioned before, E and I tend to live like two college students because we don't have that responsibility. The dogs are pretty comfortable with our living arrangements and don't hear cuss words anyway. All they hear is, "Blah, blah, blah, treats." "Blah, blah, out, blah, blah, Nate!" "Blah, blah, Sophie, ball." "Blah, night-night, Sneauball, blah." You get the point. Even the cat has a limited vocabulary. I'm not worried that someday my mother's going to walk in and hear Omar scream, "Shit! The fucking dog's been eating crap out of my litter box again." But be that as it may, I've come to realize that at my age, most people I know don't use the flowery language that I tend to.

It's truly not my fault that I cuss as much as I do, really. I was an innocent 19-year-old when I went to work for the Sheriff's Office. Spend a few 12 hour shifts in the company of cops and see if you don't walk away with a whole new vocabulary. I had the pleasure of 17 years of it. Habits that old are very hard to break.

So wish me good luck as I embark on my quest to clean up my act. I may not be able to banish every curse word from my daily conversations but I'm going to give it a good try. I definitely don't want to turn into one of those people who say lame things like "feck!" or "sunny beaches!" or "drats!" Bleh! Those words make me shudder just to type them. In fact, if you hear me say one of those you have my permission to smack me.

I'm off to catch up on all your blogs. Later!

3 Comments:

  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger butterflygirl said…

    I use to be known as pm-potty mouth. Stopped significantly once my little guy came along. He often hears me say damnit!

    Good luck!

     
  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger ~ T (grits) ~ said…

    I honestly never used the F word until I too went to work as a dispatcher for the local sheriff's dept when I was 18.
    And there all innocence goes, eh?
    LOL!

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    FORGET IT!!!! YOU ARE TOO DAMN OLD TO CHANGE NOW....besides didn't we have fun with those guys learninf how to talk colorful!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader