Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Special Birthday Today


Today is my mom's 70th birthday.

As a young child you always believe your parents are immortal and will somehow permanently stay the age they are forever. As you start to grow up, your life is totally focused on your own aging process - the angst of adolesence, the indecision of early adulthood, the self-discovery of your 30's, and the acceptance of your 40's - rarely noticing that all along the way Mom and Dad have been growing as well.

Somewhere between the battles we had as I rebelled my way through my teens and early 20's and now, Mom and I became friends. I think it had a lot to do with my becoming an adult.


I remember the day when people who were 70 were considered elderly and acted accordingly. Today things are different and my parents are two shining examples. They haven't slowed down a bit and they're in great health. It's easy to believe by looking at them that 70 is definitely the new 60.

Beware if my mom ever asks you to play UNO or Chicken Foot with her because she will kick your ass. But I guarantee you'll have a great time while she does it.


Mama, I love you so very much and hope that you've had a great day today. I know that it sucked that you had a doctor's appointment this afternoon but I hope you and Dad had a good time eating out at your favorite restaurant for dinner.

Thanks for being there when I laughed and when I cried, when I was hurt and when I had the best day ever, when I was sweet and when I was mean, and all the times in between. Thanks for encouraging me to be independent, to learn, and to be a strong woman. I am who I am today because of the lessons you taught me.

Happy Birthday, Mom!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:36 PM, Blogger butterflygirl said…

    Happy 70th Birthday to her!!!

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    I hope your mother has a wonderful, wonderful birthday!

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Zoya said…

    Wow..A big happy birthday. She doesn't look a day over 50 in the photo!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader