Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Monday, August 07, 2006

A Tyler funny

Ty's totally fascinated by snakes and he knows that I'm deathly afraid of them.

Saturday afternoon my phone rings.

Ty: "Nannie! Guess what! We found a ground rattler in the yard today."

Me: "Oh wow, Buddy, how big was he?"

Ty: "Well, he's a ground rattler so he was only about a foot long."

Me: "Oh ok. What did y'all do with him?"

Ty: "Well, my dad got the big shovel..."

Me (thinking): This isn't going to end well....

Ty: "...and picked up the snake. And the snake actually crawled up the handle of the shovel but then he dropped to the ground. Then he went in a hole."

Me: "Aw. So you lost him, huh?"

Ty: "Yeah, but I've got a bait snake (*read rubber snake here) and a plastic frog on a string and I'm going back out there to see if I can get him to come back out."

I'd almost forgotten how much of an adventure life is when you're eight years old.

Later my sister calls me and I told her about Ty's call. She tells me that on Friday she and Ty sat down to watch a show called "Beautiful Snakes" that she'd taped for him off of Animal Planet. It was the first fully digital footage of snakes and the narrator was saying how brilliant the colors would be and that they'd show snakes in various habitats and during mating. My sister said she grabbed the remote thinking she might have to fast forward through the mating parts later. But they didn't make a big deal of it, giving it a matter of fact narration and showing some snakes entertwined.

Fast forward to Saturday when Ty was getting ready to bait the snake hole for the ground rattler. He tells my sister...

"Mom, I'm putting this bait snake out there and maybe the ground rattler will come and mate with it."

At least we know he was paying attention.

Ok. I was trying to make this entry more interesting by adding a nice snake pic to go along with the theme. However, while looking at the pics on my Google search, I creeped myself out so badly I had to pick my feet up off the floor (just in case there was a snake in here) and I'm sure I'll have nightmares all week. After all of that and 48 Google picture pages I didn't find one danged snake pic that I thought went well enough with the theme. And trust me, opening up the thumbnails and seeing the full size photos will not help the lessen the chance of nightmares. Ewwwwww...

4 Comments:

  • At 3:32 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    I couldn't even hold a conversation about snakes, nevermind watch a whole show about them.

    Boys can do cool stuff like that.

     
  • At 12:39 AM, Blogger Keith said…

    Hillarious! Man I miss that kid, and the other one too.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger Sam said…

    Pooty here!!!

    Glad u did not post any snakes, else I may not have read on!!!! :o)

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Nikki said…

    Boys are cool :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader