Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Friday, April 20, 2007

Revisiting the issue once more

Normally I wouldn't even take the time to acknowledge anonymous commentors on my blog because I'm of the belief that one must own what they post. However, due to some issues raised about yesterday's post I'm going to make an exception just this once.




Anonymous poster #1 claims to be an OB/GYN. She corrected my statement that most abortions are done with the D&E procedure. My source was apparently incorrect yesterday. According to Wikipedia 11% of abortions are done during the second trimester and some of those require the D&E procedure. Thank you for the information, Anonymous #1. I stand corrected. However, if you reread my previous post, I never presumed to speak for all women.




Anonymous poster #2 called me out for making the statement "a fundamentalist Catholic group". Well, #2, I was raised as a Catholic. In fact I spent my first 38 years on this planet as a Catholic. What is Opus Dei if not a "fundamentalist Catholic group"? They believe in the fundamental Catholic strict pre-Vatican II teachings. Google it.




As for other comments made, I'll wrap up by saying...




1. If it's in the womb, it's a fetus, not a baby.




2. If it's not viable outside the womb, then it's not life. (Check the law books for that definition, folks)




3. The government has absolutely no right making decisions about our bodies. If we allow them to decide about abortion then we open it up to them deciding about things like cancer treatments, surgeries, etc. Very slippery slope.




And just so folks understand where I'm coming from...




No, I don't have children. That's not a choice I made but a choice cancer made for me in my late 20's. Had I gotten pregnant in my youth I don't know if I could have personally made the decision to have an abortion. But I'm old enough to remember this country before abortion was legal. I don't ever want to see us going back to women dying in back alleys due to illegal abortions. If you want to know what that's like, research Peru and Kenya regarding the state of illegal abortions there. Bottom line, a woman's decision whether to have an abortion or not is between her and her higher power, not the government.




Today's Slate political cartoon says it all:




1 Comments:

  • At 6:05 AM, Blogger Super Duper said…

    Hey! not anonymous! My name's Oli, I love in London, I am a member of Opus Dei.

    Vatican 2 didn't change the fundamental teaching of the Church- just some of the ways those fundamentals are expressed...

    Catholics are all called to live the Catechism- and that is all that members of Opus Dei say... That doesnt make us fundamentalists, because noone in Opus Dei is told to live them but to live them out of love for God...

    God is love after all!!

    p.s. i love the pic on your blog background :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader