Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Michael Vick - another open letter

Dear Michael Vick -

You make me so very sad. There is so much debate going on about what should or should not happen to you now that you have pled guilty to the dog fighting charges.

I watched your speech yesterday after the court proceedings. I believe that you spoke from your heart in part because you did not use a prepared speech. I commend you for that. But in your speech you failed to say something so very important in this issue - you fail to apologize for what you did to those innocent dogs. You took their lives in ways that are just to horrid to comprehend. Yesterday you alluded to being sorry for the gambling, for setting such a bad example to kids that look up to you, and for being involved in dog fighting in general but you never addressed the lives you took.

For days I've been walking around saying that part of your sentence should be mandatory neutering but I no longer feel that way. What you need instead is some serious help; help that I doubt will be available to you in prison.

Ghandi once said that "you can tell a lot about people by how they treat their animals" and he was spot on. Psychology has shown us that people who abuse animals are deeply disturbed. To have treated those dogs in that way, Michael, you are a very distrubed individual. By refusing to mention it in your speech tells me that you have no idea that this is a much deeper issue than your being caught running a dog fighting ring.

It is my hope that you find the help you need, Michael. It is also my hope that the NFL cancels your contract so that you can get the long term treatment you so desperately need.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm thinking Vick's lost any chance of cashing in on product endorsement and probably he's lost his career. In the end this will hit him where it hurts him most. But he'll still be an ignoramous.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader