Mid-Life Ramblings; Sanity Optional

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Some catching up...

1. I've been sick. Icky sick. Last week I decided I needed a flu shot so I got one then proceeded to get a mild version of the flu. I was in bed for three days. I tried to go to work on Tuesday but only made it until noon. I still have a head full of snot. Blah!

2. My nephew Tyler is back in the hospital. Some of you may remember that Tyler is a St. Jude patient fighting leukemia. He's only seven. He's fighting a bacterial infection again and has been in-patient since last Thursday. Of course, he thinks this is wonderful. While in-patient he doesn't have to go to school (but still has to do homework - a slight inconvenience), he gets to order Coke Icees from the cafeteria any time he wants, he gets to play Nintendo Game Cube all day, watch movies on the children's cable movie channel they have, and watch DVD's on a portable DVD player (supplied by the hospital). He actually gets sad if you tell him you hope he gets out soon.

I've been banned from going to see him since I was sick but since I haven't run fever in over 48 hours now, I get to go tonight. I feel some good Game Cube playing coming on.

3. I'm getting itchy to paint some of the rooms, ok, all of the rooms in the house. I just don't want to get started before E has a permanent job. K gave us sheets for Christmas in a gorgeous shade of deep red. It's just the color that I want to paint our bedroom. I want to paint the living room in a china blue trimmed out in white and paint the kitchen a coordinating medium blue trimmed in white.

4. I'm also itching to get painting artistically again. I'm planning a tryptic for the kitchen of a fork, knife, and spoon. I spent a good bit of time surfing for flatware patterns that appeal to me last night. I have several neat ones picked out so all I have to do is narrow it down to "the one". I'll be off to buy three oblong canvases this evening. I hope to start working on it this weekend. I'll post pics if it turns out ok.

That's about the roundup of our rather dull recent life. I'll post again when I have something interesting to tell y'all.

Oh, I do have to say that it thrills me to see my brother as happy as he is now. He's positively giddy with his life now. Rock on, Bro!

4 Comments:

  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger Shark-Fu said…

    Great update!

    I'm sorry to hear that your nephew is back in hospital...Coke icees or no, it bites. But St. Jude is an amazing place.

    I'm sending extremely fantabulous thoughts of child-based joy to him!

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger Dixie said…

    Ty is just something else. My little hero!

    Glad you're feeling better, sugar.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Keith said…

    Hmmmmm. So I guess you noticed during your recent visits to N.O. Life certainly is moving in the right direction.

     
  • At 12:26 AM, Blogger PissedOffPencil said…

    I'm sending over the sincerest get-well-whishes to you and your nephew. He seems to be in good spirit and must be a real fighter.

    Is there really such a thing as a mild version of the flu?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader